If you have flat feet, then you already know that it can be tough to find shoe that are right for you. Not every shoe manufacture offer shoes that are comfortable for people with flat feet. So, are Birkenstocks good for flat feet?
Birkenstocks are good for flat feet because they offer arch support, a firm heel cup and an open toe box. Birkenstocks with the soft footbed are typically a better choice for people with flat feet compared to the standard Birks footbed.
According to the research that I’ve read, approximately one in five to one in three Americans are believed to have flat feet. We are all born with flat feet and develop arches when we are 2 to 3 years old, however some never develop arches due to their heritage (hereditary factors).
For others, flat feet can develop over time due to pregnancy, obesity, aging or other medical conditions such as diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. (Source: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
If you have flat feet, then you could be experiencing tired feet, leg fatigue, foot or heel or arch pain as well as knee or back and body aches. Your feet are the foundation for your body and when your arches have fallen, there can be stress placed on other parts of your body to compensate.
According to Podiatrists, the ideal footwear for someone with flat feet is to choose shoes that combine a firm heel cup with sturdy arch support and ample toe box room. The middle part of the shoe should be somewhat flexible (not too rigid and not too flimsy).
Before we go into more details, let me say that these 3 styles of Birks are best for flat feet:
- Arizona Soft Footbed (available in oiled nubuck leather and suede leather)
- Boston Soft footbed (available in suede leather)
- Granada Soft Footbed (available in oiled leather)
Birkenstocks have been around for a very long time. The quality and durability of their sandals are renowned. Let’s review and discuss Birks in more detail and explore the options available for people with flat feet!
Table of Contents
- 1 Birkenstocks the Shoe
- 2 Best Birkenstocks for Flat Feet
- 3 Alternatives: Good Shoes for Flat Feet
- 4 Tips to Make Your Birkenstocks More Comfortable
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Birkenstock Related Articles
Birkenstocks the Shoe
Birkenstocks are a German manufacturer that makes sandals, designed specifically to support your entire foot and that, once you are used to them, feel like heaven. They are good for general use, walking, and are comfortable. The Birkenstock footbed is made of cork, natural latex and is molded to the shape of your foot.
Birkenstocks are designed with 2 different footbed options:
- Standard footbed
- Soft footbed
The structure of the footbed include a first layer of Jute which forms the foundation of the footbed. Then next layer if Cork and latex which is the heart of the footbed. This layer provide shock-absorbing, support and pressure relief on the feet. The third layer is once again made with jute to provide increased flexibility while increasing durability and moisture regulation. Finally a suede lining top layer for a comfortable foot climate.
The soft footbed is designed with an added foam insert to offer more softness to this footbed.
The soft footbed has a layer of foam for extra cushioning, which is beneficial for people with flat feet.
The regular Birkenstocks footbed are still comfortable, but if you have flat feet, the extra firmness of the standard footbed could be hard on your and your feet.
With a soft footbed, it has more cushions to make your flat feet more with padded foam for your adjusted comfort. This foam has air bubbles that will help your flat feet even more cozy for your liking.
No matter what style of Birkenstocks you choose, you must remember that it takes time for you to break them in. Whether you have flat feet or not, don’t buy a pair of Birks and then wear them for 8 to 10 hours at once. Take it easy. Wear them for 30 minute or an hour initially. Wear them around your home. Then work up to 2 hours, then three hours.
Your Birks are going to last you a very long time. If you take the time to break them in at the beginning you will enjoy them more!
Best Birkenstocks for Flat Feet
As I mentioned earlier, let’s take a look at the 3 best choices for flat feet:
Arizona Soft Footbed (available in oiled nubuck leather and suede leather)
Boston Soft footbed (available in suede leather)
Granada Soft Footbed (available in oiled leather)
Benefits of the Birks with Soft Footbed
What are the health benefits when you purchase Birkenstocks soft footbed sandals for your flat feet?
- It will support your arches
- You can find the weight for your certain comfort level
- Have the perfect balance and stability
- You have fewer worries about foot pain and joints
- Can heal your foot problems
Once you have purchased your Birkenstocks sandals, you need to know some things when you wear them.
It will take days or even weeks to get comfortable or get used to the sandals. This depends on the certain size and adjustments that you want. Of course, it will take time to adjust, but it’s worth buying to have better and healthier feet.
Alternatives: Good Shoes for Flat Feet
You’ve come to this site to see if Birks are good for flat feet and they are, but I thought I should also provide you with a couple of alternatives as well. Here are 3 alternatives to Birkenstocks, if you have flat feet!
Crocs were originally designed as a boat shoe, they are made from a closed-cell foam resin called Croslite.
Crocs have been certified by the US Ergonomics Council and the American Podiatric Medical Association for their therapeutic benefits for people suffering from bunions, diabetes and flat feet.
Crocs have the large toe box, a strap to keep your heel in place and the soft supportive foam for your arches. These are a very well-priced pair of shoes especially if you have flat feet.
Clarks CloudStepper Sillian Paz Slip-On Loafer for Women
The Clarks CloudStepper Sillian Paz Slip-On Loafer is a good closed-toe alternative to Birkenstocks for people with flat feet. Sorry Guys, this is a lady’s shoe.
These are a nice lightweight shoe that you will be comfortable in all day. The lining, their Ortholite footbed, is removable. Therefore you can put your own orthotics into the shoe, if you want.
The standard shoe would be considered wide, then you can choose a wider size if required. Great alternative closed-toe shoes for flat feet.
Merrell Men’s Jungle Moc Slip-On Shoe
The Merrell Jungle Moc is an excellent option for men with flat feet. You can choose from standard and wide fit.
These shoes feature a durable “Select-Grip“ traction sole and suede upper. They are 100% leather. These shoes will provide the arch support and cushioning that you demand as someone with flat feet.
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20 for Men or Women
With a supportive cushion that provides stability and support. You will not be disappointed with these shoes, they are especially great to support overpronation and flat feet.
Tips to Make Your Birkenstocks More Comfortable
Here are some tips to make you more comfortable with your sandals:
1. Adjust your strap so that it’s not too tight for your toes. Never wear it too tightly while. Adjust the a way that allows your feet some freedom.
2. Your toes should not be outside or on the edge of your footbed because you might injure your feet.
3. Sometimes, you should bend your sandals to loosen up the cork of the footbed.
4. Wiggle or bend your toes so you could feel the adjustment.
5. Go for a short walk around your neighborhood or inside your house so you could get used to the sandals you’re wearing.
6. Keep walking with them daily for at least an hour so you can be comfortable as time passes by.
7. If your feet are starting to hurt, reduce that hour. Never force yourself.
8. If your feet are okay and used to it, increase your time wearing them.
9. Keep increasing your time. It’s better to go outdoors and see how well-adjusted the sandals are to your feet. This process can take a few weeks. Over that time frame, you can increase the time of wearing them.
10. Wear socks if you need to so you will be extra comfortable and keep you warm.
Following these tips will ensure that your flat feet will be well-adjusted and won’t have any trouble with arches. The thing with soft footbeds than regular footbeds, they are more adjustable and more likely to be comfortably quick for people with flat feet because it’s light and airy.
Just a heads up, Birkenstocks sandals don’t last forever. Nothing lasts forever. They last a long while, and it depends on the corks and adjustments. Don’t get them wet a lot because it might be too loose once it keeps getting wet, so dry them if it’s too wet.Amazon Search Link (Birkenstocks)
In conclusion, Birkenstocks sandals are the most fitting for people who have flat feet. They have the comfort level that you need. You can adjust them to the level that you want, and it is good to wear them daily. There will be mishaps along the way because of the arches of your feet and sometimes not suited for your flat feet for a long time, but if you follow the tips and the health benefits, you have no problem with wearing them.
Remember to purchase sandals that will be good, comfortable, flexible for your feet.
Birkenstock Related Articles
- Birkenstocks Narrow vs. Regular! What’s the difference?
- Are Birkenstocks good for feet?
- Are Birkenstocks good for plantar fasciitis?
- Are Birkenstocks waterproof?
- Can Birkenstocks get wet?
- How long do Birkenstocks last?
- Are Birkenstocks good for walking long distances?
- Breaking in Birkenstocks (A complete guide!)
- How should Birkenstocks fit?
- Are my Birkenstocks too big?
- Should you wear Birkenstocks with socks?